Thursday - November 15, 2007

Today was COLD – when we left Auburn it was raining/snowing and the high on the truck thermometer today was 42F (6C) which is far too cold. The sun broke through about noon so it seemed warmer than it was but the wind was brutal all day, thankfully it finally calmed down late this afternoon.

We drove west from Auburn on US 30 this morning which is a good highway but slower than the interstates as it goes through a lot of towns and there are the usual stop lights etc. on the way. We cut up on I-57 to I-80 west and it was good driving on the interstates with not a lot of traffic, but of course by then we had cleared Chicago. We crossed the Mississippi River today so I guess we can now say we are in the west! Today’s scenery was corn field after corn field and it was very flat – quite boring actually!!

Tonight we are at the KOA at West Liberty, Missouri so we got a bit farther than we thought. Now I have to replot tomorrow’s route, which entails changing over to the Windows side of my Mac as that is where my mapping software is.

“Alice”, our GPS does a fairly good job of directing but she and I do have differences of opinion and I get quite frustrated listening to her recalculating the route until she agrees with mine! Think I should have called her a male name but it is a female voice (but I think her planning is done by a male!). I must admit though that she is handy to tell you which way to turn and alert you to upcoming turns. One of the weird things I have found with her so far is her directions to RV parks, both last night and tonight she was way off – glad I had Trailer Life for directions and didn’t rely on “Alice”.

There is no wi-fi here so I will have to wait to post this until another day.

No comments: