Monday, April 18, 2011

We are now in Johnson City, Texas and will be here for a week. We have had four long days of driving through nowhere Arizona, New Mexico and Texas but the weather was good until Texas when we hit the Texas winds.

Saturday night we enjoyed our rib dinner at the Roadrunner CafĂ© at the park in Fort Stockton. It was really funny, we were parked beside another Airstream in Fort Stockton, we don’t see a lot of them on the road and to be parked beside another one two nights in a row is unusual. John and Nancy are from Birmingham and were heading to join an Airstream Caravan in Carlsbad, NM. What was really funny all 3 Airstream fellows are Johns!

Driving into Texas from New Mexico it was really hazy, it turns out there were a lot of wild fires to the west of Fort Stockton and the town of Davis Mountain was pretty well burned out and hundreds of animals killed in the fires – how devastating! I think they are now under control but it is so dry here it wouldn’t take much for a fire to start.

Yesterday we arrived here and were totally beat, we lost an hour on Friday when we left Arizona as Arizona doesn’t do daylight saving time and then we lost another hour on Saturday when we left New Mexico and Mountain Time – 2 hours in 2 days is hard on the system!

Today was a very quiet day, my back is still really sore so I wasn’t up to doing much except laundry. Just after I started the laundry John came to tell me we were moving to a site along the river so he got the trailer moved while I did the laundry. Today was 30C+ (90F+) and it is supposed to be like that all week so he thought it might be a bit shadier and cooler by the river. I DO NOT like temperatures that hot but will just have to suck it up, I know if I was home with 4C I wouldn’t be happy either!!

We have a few things we want to do in the area and I want to try and find a massage for my back so it will keep us busy for the week.

And so ends more great gifts of days and we look forward to more good days to come.

No comments: