Wednesday, March 4, 2009

We left here about 9:00 a.m. to go to Escondido, CA to visit my cousin Ron & his wife Nancy. We last saw Ron & Nancy briefly16 years ago at his mother’s funeral and heaven only knows when before that so there were a lot of years to get caught up on.

We took the scenic route to their place, which is north of San Diego, and what a beautiful drive and gorgeous scenery. Once past the desert areas in the southeastern part of California the countryside turns into very mountainous, green, absolutely gorgeous countryside.

These were taken on our drive to Escondido:











Now here's a sign I never dreamt we would see in southern California





We arrived at their place about 2:30 p.m. and the visiting began, what a lot to talk about and get caught up on. They have a fabulous home on the top of a mountain looking west to the ocean, which is about 20 miles away, and on a clear day you can see the ocean and the outline of Catalina Island. This is their retirement home and Nancy designed it and what an absolutely wonderful job she did, there are a lot of things in their home that I would never have dreamt of, it is certainly a place to be proud of and enjoy.

They made John and I feel very welcome and Nancy had made me a lovely “blankie” which I know I will really enjoy and think of her when I use it.

Nancy made a lovely dinner and we certainly didn’t run out of things to talk about. Ron and I found it very interesting listening to each other’s recollections of our childhood, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc. and we both learned new things about our family.

As always, today was another great gift of a day, and a very special day getting to know Ron & Nancy and we look forward to another good day tomorrow.

No comments: