Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Today was partly sunny this morning, then it clouded over and stayed cloudy for the rest of the day but it didn’t rain until about dinner time so we can’t complain. The highs the last week or so have only been about 7-8C (mid 40’s F) but as long as it keeps above freezing and doesn’t snow I will try not to complain!

Our Site at GilGal Oasis RV Park

This morning I decided that my shaggy look had to go so headed out to get my hair cut. I lucked out and walked into a shop where they could take me right away; so while I was getting sheared John headed over to Wal Mart. We needed an extension for our sewer hose so he picked that up and also bought his Christmas present – glad he knows what he wants as I can never figure it out, so now I have something for him and will put it away until Christmas.

We decided to take the scenic drive through Sequim and along the coast – it was very pretty and there were certainly a lot of beautiful homes with great views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Actually Sequim is at the end of the strait and basically looks out to the islands between Vancouver Island and the Washington mainland south of Vancouver.

We found a little restaurant right on the coast called The 3 Crabs so stopped and had lunch there – we had clam chowder and bread – very good. While eating we looked out at the Dungeness Lighthouse that is situated on a piece of land that is connected to the mainland by a 5.5 mile spit.


The waitress said the lighthouse is still operated manually and local people take turns going out for 6 weeks at a time to look after it. There are no cars allowed on the spit but there is one car that is allowed to take the people to and from the lighthouse.

After lunch we followed a scenic route, it was a very pretty drive and at one point there was an area that was full of deer, one just leisurely pranced across the road in front of us.



We also drove down to the John Wayne marina, apparently John Wayne donated the land to the town for it. We got home about 4:30, just as it was starting to spit rain a bit and the wind was really picking up, me thinks it will be a very windy evening!

I keep trying to get pictures of the mountains but they are either hazy or there are all kinds of wires in the way so this one isn't great but I will keep trying.


I think John was really glad that we had decided to do pulled pork in the slow cooker as it would have been difficult to keep the barbecue lit with the wind.

Dinner is now over, the dishes are done and John is settled in to watch his favourite TV program, The Tudors. I will finish this and then read for a while. And so ends another great gift of a day and we look forward to another nice day tomorrow.

No comments: